Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Conversations with the almost 4 year old

I used to honestly think that preschoolers were some of the scariest creatures on earth. I'm not sure why really. But, over the past year I have learned that preschoolers are some of the most amazing little people on earth. If you've ever taken the time to sit down and have a real grown up conversation with one, you would instantly understand.

Of course you've got the terrible 3's (trust me, 2's are nothing compared to 3's) and you've got the why? question after every thing you say (literally)... but I think I'm starting to get it.

The terrible comes from them just trying to understand. They are trying to grasp the boundaries that exist in every day life. They are trying to wrap their brains around why they should do what we say. At 3 they are starting to battle this inner struggle to be their own person, but respect authority at the same time. Yikes! That's a lot of work for a little person... and since I still struggle with daily it's no wonder they are frustrated easily and often!

The why? is all about their brain developing every time they ask. As my pediatrician confirmed I should be worried the minute they STOP asking why. So as annoying as it can be (and trust me, it is) here is the really cool part... I am having amazing conversations! I'm learning that I don't have all the answers and that sometimes it's just plain hard to translate the answer into 3 year old language. But, I can be ok with that!

Spiritual questions are my favorite. Concrete thinking and logic quite often don't work when trying to understand the spiritual world. Which is why Shane cannot understand why we can't simply take a spaceship to go visit Jesus. He lives in the sky, right? And why is it that we can't just call him up on the telephone, we talk to everyone else that way. Jesus is my friend right and I visit my friend's at their house to play with them. So, can I go play with Jesus at His house?

Whether it's just the 3 year old mind or a deeper spiritual tug to know and understand our creator, I have officially decided I love knowing a preschooler. Have you talked to one lately?

Stay tuned for more conversations with a preschooler...

No comments:

Post a Comment